#Newsfeed: Facebook announces new tools for Groups; Instagram is looking to boost ties with Hollywood celebrities; Katy Perry crowned top certified digital artist ever
Plus why Sean Parker has left Spotify after seven years.
Facebook has announced a host of new tools for Groups to improve Group functionality, while also announcing a change in Facebook’s mission statement which underlines the importance of such communities. Groups are now being used by more than a billion people per month, so it makes sense for Facebook to introduce Group Insights, membership request filtering, removed member clean-up and post scheduling, as well as group to group linking – which brings with it potential to utilise this option to expand Group discussion, particularly for brands.
Read more about these new features here.
Known for her savvy use of Twitter in communicating with fans, Rhianna has taken her activity to the next level by offering relationship advice to a heartbroken fan. Twitter user @WaladShami direct messaged the pop star, asking for advice on how to get over a his first breakup, after he had “been struggling”. “Just believe that the heartbreak was a gift in itself!” she replied. “Cry if you have to, but it won’t be forever! You will find love again, and it will be even more beautiful! In the meantime enjoy all that YOU are!!!!”
Take a look at the screenshot of the conversation for yourself here.
Facebook is looking to bolster ties between its Instagram unit and Hollywood celebrities by hiring a new executive in L.A. to help “outreach efforts with entertainment industry influencers” on Instagram. The job listing for the “Strategic Partner Development – Entertainment, Instagram” position was spotted on the recruiting site LinkedIn, and will look to “drive high impact and authentic use of Instagram for public figures”.
Read more about this story here.
Katy Perry has made music history, with the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) recognising her as its most awarded digital act in the history of Gold & Platinum awards, the industry’s premier program for celebrating artistic achievement in the marketplace. Eighteen Katy Perry songs are included in Perry’s 72 million cumulative Digital Single Certifications counting downloads and on-demand streams, and makes Perry the first artist to surpass the 70 million digital award threshold – 20 million ahead of any other artist.
Read more of Katy Perry’s impressive stats here.
- Giving People More Control Over Their Facebook Profile Picture [via FB Newsroom]
- Facebook Announces New Tools for Groups, Updated Mission Statement [via Social Media Today]
- Australian police and Facebook launch AMBER Alert child abduction system [via SMH]
- Twitter shares pop 6.5% on report of strong advertiser outlook [via CNBC]
- Rihanna dishes out dating advice to heartbroken fan in Twitter DM [via The Daily Dot]
- Instagram is looking to boost ties with Hollywood celebrities [via CNBC]
- French Instagram fitness star killed by exploding whipped cream canister [via Business Insider]
- Sean Parker exits Spotify board after seven years [via Music Business Worldwide]
- RIAA Crowns Katy Perry Top Certified Digital Artist Ever [via RIAA]
- What Is the Greatest Album of All Time According to the Music Industry? Poll [via Billboard]
- Tesla is talking to the music labels about creating its own streaming service [via Recode]
- How Major Lazer Bet on Diversity (and Data) to Make Global Hits: ‘The Audience Controls Music Now’ [via Billboard]
- Goldie may have confirmed that Banksy is Massive Attack’s Robert Del Naja [via FACT Magazine]
- YouTube chops 360 video in half with new VR180 format [via TechCrunch]
- YouTube Red originals have racked up nearly 250 million views [via The Verge]
- ABS Film, Television and Digital Games Survey results released [via Screen Australia]
- News Corp. in Advanced Talks With Facebook on Subscriptions [via AdAge]
- The Adidas Original Campaign with Snoop Dogg Took The Top Music Award in Cannes [via Billboard]
- China bans video and audio streaming on Sina Weibo and two other websites [via The Verge]
- What We Learned From Spending $100k On Facebook Ads [via Hubspot Blog]
- My 400-Person Company Has A Great Work Culture, And We All Work Remotely [via Fast Company]
- Domino’s growth could grind to a halt, analysts warn, as company’s prospects overvalued [via Mumbrella]
#OlympicDay, #NBADraft, #OliverCurtis
JADEN JAM: Wondering why today is Olympic Day? June 23 is the day the International Olympic Committee (IOC) was founded!